Saturday 12 February 2011

North Wales Birding

I was on the road before dawn for full days birding in Wales. A few birds were on my wish list and hopefully not to much traveling between them. Hawfinch was target one I dipped at the first church but was luckier at the second with one feeding with Greenfinches. Pensarn was my next port of call for the Scoters as normal at this time of year numbers were very high at a guess into 5 figures. All common and couldn't for life of me pick out any Velvets. The long staying Snow Buntings just west of Rhyl were a must and didn't disappoint and very tolerant of humans although i kept my distance a dog walker strolled between me and the birds & they never even flinched. The tide was heading in by now so it was off towards the Little Orm for the waders roosting near the sea defences. Plenty of species Ringed Plover, Purple Sandpiper, Knot, Dunlin, Curlew Redshank & Turnstones offering great views. Just up the coast at Llandulas the ducks were gathering, an hour searching and still no Velvets but i have never seen so many Red Throated Divers in one location and a couple pretty close for a flat calm sea. Two male Eiders were out there as were Goldeneye, Red Breasted Mergs, Great Crested Grebes & a few Gullimots. Other birds to note from various locations were Little Egrets, Wigeon, Teal, Little Grebes Black Tailed Godwits, Fulmar and 4 Species of Gull + many more feathery ones. I was going pop up into the hills for Crossbills but thought that can be another trip. Phone beeped about a Bonapartes Gull on Anglesey a lifer for myself but I resisted the urge to twitch him, there will be others and i was enjoying my birding were I was

No comments:

Post a Comment