Saturday 2 April 2011

Birding in Staffs

The lads asked if I wanted a trip to Suffolk for the Short toed Creeper but thought it a little to much driving & not enough birding. I opted stay in Staffordshire the plan was Stafford area all day but on waking up to poor weather I spent some time Local. Tittersworth had a LRP on the island but not a lot else out of the norm. The moors weres similar Peregrine, Stonechat, Red Grouse, Curlew Raven ect. The cloud seemed to be thinning by now so Stafford bound it was with Blithers thrown in on route. I spent only 20mins on the causeway hoping for a tern but nothing, 100s of Sandmartins were of note. The Chase next to catch up with a bird I dipped with the weekend prior luckily not this time 2 preforming well once the wind dropped off. It would of been rude not pay the shrike a visit whilst in the area after a 20 minute wait he came flying down the valley ( magic ) Other birds about the Chase were Green & GS Woodpeckers, Chiffchaffs & Willow Warblers plus the regulars. On the way to the M6 I dropped in a Doxy as it seemed pretty lively early morning according to the phone. Much quieter when I arrived, the scape had 3 Redshank & 4 LRPs and a non regular my way in the shape of 2 Gadwall. One or Two birders out obviously the same reason I was there. A good day for mammals too Hare, Rabbit, Fox, Stoat, Red Deer, Fallow Deer( I think those be the ones on the chase) & Tree rat

No comments:

Post a Comment