Sunday 2 May 2010

1 May 2010 Staffs Bird Race


Today was the day I decided to try the Staffs Bird Race. As Ive never attempted this in my home county I set myself a realistic target of 100 Species. Woke up later than i had wished so a quick dash to Cannock Chase before the sun came up. The ranges were first choice and a pretty good one picking up a couple of bonus birds one of which was Woodcock other birds of interest were Green and Great Spotted Woodpeckers, Lesser & Whitehroat & Grasshopper warbler. I spent perhaps an hour else where on the chase for another Warbler but it eluded me. Then i needed to get to Doxy all the normal species there plus Greenshank & Dunlin on the scrape, A quick walk round got me a few more waders and Yellow Wagtail Things seemed to be going very well. Ellenhall next I managed Red Legged but no Grey Partridge from there it was Aqualate Mere another good choice picked up a few bonus birds of prey and ducks and i thought this would be a risky one. Back to the chase for round 2 Punch Bowl to Stepping Stones saw my total rise with Redstart Siskin Tree Pipit and Wood Warbler failed locate the Pied Flycatcher. With Arctic Terns showing at Bithfield it would be worth a flit there for them 4 showing well off the road. Whitmoorhaye was a struggle no partridge and took me ages find Tree Sparrow but there were bucket fulls of Yellow Hammer. A place id never visited next Branston gravel pit I have to admit i like the place although not on form on the day it still added to the growing list. Dimmsdale for the Pied Flycatcher and managed Peregrine on route. A quick text from rich saying Whimbrel at Tittersworth but on arriving they had gone only to arrive 10 minutes later doubling in numbers. Last but not least North Staffs Moors where Cuckoo Short Eared Owl and Red grouse showed well. I need a few easy tick to take me over the 100 but light had gone. Nuthatch Dipper Treecreeper plus a couple more were out of reach. I finished with a reasonable Total of 98
Full list CLICK HERE (to be done soon)


Dam fine Day and I will Try again for the magic 100

No comments:

Post a Comment