Saturday 10 September 2011

Lancashire coast


 









With the winds as they were my Spurn weekend had been put on hold, After an enjoyable wader watch last week it was much of the same but I opted for the Lancs coast for a change. First stop was Fairhaven lake not a great deal on the lake of interest except a Juv Kittiwake the water seawardside was still a good way off and only Grey Plovers were at a reasonable distance. Fleetwood was much better with a rather confiding Red Throated Diver in pretty much full colour. A few waders were also about including 150 Turnstone in a flock. One of my favourite places I visited as a kid was Knott End by the Sea and I still enjoy it like I did back then. Good numbers of Dunlin were out there & I managed pick out a Little Stint amongst them. Plenty of Ringed Plover, Knot, Curlew, Oystercatcher & Bar Tailed Godwits creating a cracking sight as a Peregrine came in for breakfast but leaving empty handed. Heysham Power Station was the last stop full a little gull action on arriving a Little Gull flew close inshore & land on the Nab also 2 Med Gulls were there, At the outfalls Arctic & Common Tern were fishing and was joined by the bird I wanted, an adult Sabines Gull that was present yesterday it disappeared after 10 minutes of close viewing so it was home happy with an enjoyable few hours up north.


No comments:

Post a Comment