Tuesday 6 May 2014

Weekends Birding

 

Well the long weekends birding revolved around moorland and more moorland. A walk around Gun Hill had me Stonechat, Wheatear and 2 Tree Pipits plus around 20 Willow Warblers I was hoping some different migrants had dropped in but it was just the regulars. North Staffs moors seemed more alive than any previous visits this year, Babbling Curlew, Lapwings, Drumming Snipe and 4 fine looking Golden Plover made up the moorland waders. A Lass from Peak Parks was doing a Snipe survey whilst I was there pretty interesting stuff and more complex than counting singing males. A male Ring Ouzel was in full voice but unfortunately just over the boarder. Again a Hobby dashed through Middle Hills but it didnt linger this time as it heading towards the moss. A grand view of a Grasshopper warbler before I reached Swallow Moss and 2 more in the moss vicinity. After hearing Cuckoo on the last visit I thought I stood a chance of seeing one, I did but only in flight as it disappeared over Lum Edge. A lone Tree Pipit belted out it song at the moss. I was hoping for a Redstart but never heard or saw any signs of one. Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff, Blackcap and Whitethroat were present throughout. Raptors were a little thin on the ground only the Hobby, Kestrel and Buzzard noted but I didnt visit the Roaches.
   A couple of short stops at Tittesworth produced very little than what I have wrote before. Good news is the Reservoirs water level is dropping nicely.

















No comments:

Post a Comment